Are you sick of eating the same bland old potatoes? Want to try something different and fun? Smashed potatoes cooked in an air fryer are the answer. This tasty dish is easy to make, has a lot of taste, and is excellent for any event. Air Fryer smashed potatoes is a great way to make a quick side dish or a tasty snack. In this piece, we’ll show you how to make crispy and tasty mashed potatoes in an air fryer.
What Are Mashed Potatoes?
Smashed potatoes are just boiled potatoes that are smashed into a flat disk shape and then fried until crispy. They are a popular side dish with roasted meats or other filling meals. Smashed potatoes are great for any event and can be changed to suit your tastes.
What is an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is a cooking tool that cooks food by blowing hot air. It works like a convection oven, but it’s a lot smaller and goes much faster. Air fryers are great for making chicken wings, french fries, and smashed potatoes crispy and crunchy. They are also simple to use and clean up after.
How to Use an Air Fryer to Make Mashed Potatoes
It is effortless to make mashed potatoes in an air fryer. What you’ll need is:
- Potatoes of any kind
- Salt Pepper
- Olive oil or a spray for cooking
Here’s how to use an air fryer to make mashed potatoes:
- Start by cooking the potatoes until they are soft in salty water. Depending on the size of your potatoes, this takes about 15 to 20 minutes.
- When the potatoes are done, drain them and give them a few minutes to cool down.
- Set your air fryer to 400°F and turn it on.
- With a potato masher or a fork, smash each potato until it looks like a flat ball. Don’t worry if they’re imperfect; they’ll still taste great!
- Brush olive oil or cooking spray on each potato ring.
- Add salt and pepper to each potato ring.
- Put the potato rings in the basket of the air fryer. Make sure they don’t touch each other.
- Cook the potatoes for 10–15 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Enjoy it while it’s hot!
How to Use an Air Fryer to Make the Best Mashed Potatoes
Even though it’s easy to make mashed potatoes in an air fryer, you can use a few tips and tricks to ensure they always turn out great.
- You can use any potato you want, but make sure they are about the same size so they all cook at the same rate.
- Wait to cook the potatoes too long; they should be soft but not falling apart.
- To help the potatoes get crispy in the air fryer, brush them with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Salt and pepper the potatoes before you cook them, or try other spices like garlic powder or paprika.
- Please don’t put too many best air fryer smashed potatoes basket, or they won’t get crispy.
- Halfway through cooking, flip the potatoes over to ensure they brown evenly on both sides.
- For the crispiest potatoes, serve them right away after cooking.
Can I smash potatoes ahead of time?
Yes! You can boil the potatoes ahead of time and put them in the fridge until you are ready to smash and air fry them. This can save you a lot of time if you are having a dinner party or other event.
Can mashed potatoes be frozen?
You can freeze mashed potatoes, but they might not stay as crisp as those just made. If you decide to freeze them, ensure they are completely cool before putting them in a freezer bag or sealed container. When ready to eat them, put them back in the air fryer until they are hot and crispy.
How can you change up mashed potatoes?
Mashed potatoes can be made in many different ways to suit your tastes. Try dressing them with rosemary, thyme, chili powder, cheese, bacon bits, or sour cream.
Do I need an air fryer to make mashed potatoes?
Yes! You can make mashed potatoes in the oven by baking them at 425°F for 15-20 minutes or until crispy. You can cook them in a pan over medium-high heat until they are crispy.